[aur-requests] [PRQ#21898] Orphan Request for sge

notify at aur.archlinux.org notify at aur.archlinux.org
Mon Oct 19 16:55:11 UTC 2020

daimh [1] filed an orphan request for sge [2]:

Here is the Orphaning request again. If this Orphaning request is
denied again, please consider reason 4 below in terms of Copyright. I
won't submit any request as long as reason 4 is taken care of.

### Here is some new reasons since my previous request was denied.

1. PKGBUILD file fails.

1. Current maintainer releases package while knowing it fails

2. Current maintainer gave advices without any testing. Two examples,

- He said "after setting '-j' in /etc/makepkg.conf, the building
process is already greatly accelerated on a multi-core machine.".
However, this fails too, see the comment I made at 2020-10-19 14:28 .

- He also said it was caused by fakeroot, but the '-j' error is caused
by SGE itself instead. -lshced is SGE's own library, and it has
nothing to do with OS environment.

3. Current patching style is a hassle. Current maintainer split my
single source code patch file into many small files. While this
splitting is already an issue because he did so without any
acknowledgement of my work, other Linux distribution administrator
will have trouble to use this SGE patch. It used to be one patch
command, but now they have to run it many times and patch the files in
the deep sub-directories one by one. Further, what if more files need
be patched in future?

4. Copyright. The one single C patch file in my last commit needs to
have the same COPYRIGHT disclaimer as the one in
https://github.com/daimh/sge . This was not an issue when I was
maintainer as I can always respond to user.

 Or please acknowledge it in a file in the top directory. I spent
quite some time to make SGE work under Arch Linux. My work should be
acknowledged. If we programmers don't respect ourselves, nobody else
in the world will do so, and plagiarism will be everywhere.

> > Developed by Manhong Dai

> > Copyright © 2020 University of Michigan. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL
version 3 or later"

5. I am more than qualified to maitain this packge, reasons are listed
at https://github.com/daimh/sge

### Here are some known facts.
1. I am the original AUR SGE submitter and have been maintaing this
package since 2019. the PKGBUILD file works just fine on all my
cluster nodes in University of Michigan for the past decade.

1. I modified the SGE code and put all my modification in one patch
file. Otherwise the compiling will fail under modern Linux.

1. On Aug 10, current maintaner commented and asked me to pull his
work. I checked it but didn't reply for not wanting being negative. I
also checked that he is not a Trusted User.

1. At 12:24, Oct 10, I received an email saying this package was
disowned.

1. At 12:43, Oct 10, I received another email saying this package was
adopted. Before these two emails, I didn't receive any Orphaning email
notifications.

1. At around 1pm, Oct 10, I submited the first Orphaning request

1. User Archange (archange AT archlinux.org) confirmed that I didn't
receive the Orphaning requests because of a bug at
https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/aurweb/-/merge_requests/6

1. I registered AUR-general in Oct 12, 2020, as I never know such
email list exists.

1. I top-posted quite a few emails to the list. I am sorry for the
trouble it caused, but I really didn't know the rule. This mistake
won't happen again.

1. I accidentatlly removed one comment while tring to modify makepkg
output to make it cleaner. That comment is just makepkg output.

### Anecdotal evidence, all quoted from the comments of current
maintainer unless staed otherwise.

1. 2020-08-10 14:45, "the PKGBUILD is at a very bad state",

 Current maintainer's first comment when I was maintainer.

1. 2020-10-13 02:59 "In terms of ability and obligation, I do not
agree that you can maintain this AUR package"

2. 2020-10-13 02:59, "It’s really intolerable for pkgver to fill in
this incorrectly", according to Google translation.

 2020-10-13 06:41, After the package was taken over, User a821
commented "The pkgver used to be 20200527 but now is 8.1.9. However
20200527 > 8.1.9 so epoch=1 might be required."

4. 2020-10-17 16:12, "a one-big patch file obviously make it hard to
check the changes and follow this package on other distributions
either"

5. 2020-10-17 17:08, "after setting '-j' in /etc/makepkg.conf, the
building process is already greatly accelerated on a multi-core
machine. Further small acceleration by changing the documented
compilation method may not worth it."

 However, a simple test with '-j' fails

6. 2020-10-17 17:19, "As the maintainer of sge on AUR, I do have the
authority to recommend you that please don't use 'sge' as the name,
the short name or part of name for 'some grid engine' on AUR."

7. 2020-10-17 19:51, "I know that there is no error in build() of this
PKGBUILD in a clean chroot".

 When he recommended '-j' and I told him '-j' fails.

8. 2020-10-17 19:51, "Besides, I know that there is an error in
package() when building in clean chroot. I'll fixed that a few days
later."

9. Many of his comments don't exist anymore. Or we will see quite some
comments that I was called 'zero knolwdge', 'know nothing', etc.. All
my comments are there except the one I mentioned above. If my words
are offensive, let me know and I am more than happy to fix it.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/daimh/
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/sge/