[pacman-dev] Pacman doesn't handle properly the multiple satisfiers, localdb corruption

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 10:47:12 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 04:31:32PM +0200, ngaba at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu wrote:
> > About corrupted db, most db are already corrupted, but in a less important
> > way : extra required by field (fixed by your upgraderm patch),
> >    instead of missing required by fields as it's the case here.
> > But so, couldn't we have an option in pacman for repairing requiredby fields
> > or something ?
> Well, in the future alpm_db_test should do a deeper db check (and try
> to fix errors: for example requiredby fields can be generated from
> depends easily); now it only does very basic "syntax" checking, which
> is a bit confusing for me (consistency check means more IMHO).

Yes indeed, that's what I was thinking about.
Maybe it could also look for broken dependencies also (mostly breakage caused
by --nodeps).
The problem is I'm not sure it fits perfectly in libalpm. Maybe it should
rather be an external tool, using libalpm (in src/util/).
That should be enough at least for checking, but for writing to the database
in order to correct inconsistencies, I'm not sure..