[pacman-dev] Localization issues

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 10:58:03 EST 2007

2007/3/6, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com>:
> On 3/5/07, Nagy Gabor <ngaba at petra.hos.u-szeged.hu> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > It would be nice, if pacman accepted Y and N as yesno answer
> > too. Because if a message hasn't been localized yet (for
> > example 'Proceed with installation? [Y/n]' to hungarian now), it's
> > annoying that if answer Y, pacman exits (because Y is localized to I).
> >
> > Bye, Nagy Gabor
> >
> > P.S.: Yes, you may say: There may exists a language where
> > localized(I)==N or similar; so the localized answer should be checked
> > first. In this pathological case (again .-) the untranslated
> > messages are really annoying :-)
>
> The best solution is to either update the translation or drop it (put
> it in storage until someone wants to update it). This would be very
> hacky to implement what you suggested, and not that useful to
> languages where Y and N have flipped usage from their English
> counterparts.

Translating Y/N to use native language chars (i.e. J/N in German) is
bad for users that use different keyboard layouts for English/native
text input.
For example in Ukrainian 'Proceed with installation? [Y/n]' can be
translated as 'Почати інсталяцію? [Т/Н]' but to enter Т or Н chars
user must to switch keyboard layout.
So, for Cyrilic languages it's better to stick with Y/N but with
translated question.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)