[pacman-dev] ALPM Questions

VMiklos vmiklos at frugalware.org
Fri May 4 07:31:48 EDT 2007

Na Fri, May 04, 2007 at 12:41:51PM +0200, Georg Grabler <ggrabler at gmail.com> pisal(a):
> Could you describe in short what the sync anyway does? So which
> functionalities does it include?

first, you init the transaction with trans_init(), then add the targets
using trans_addtarget(). trans_prepare() will check depends/conflicts,
etc. (this time you can get the list of packages and that's the case
when you need PM_SYNCPKG). finally trans_commit() will download, check
for conflicting files and install the targets

> We'd like sync just to have a (in example) current.db.tar.gz provided
> (by path or how ever) and let alpm sync it with the current package
> db.

you need db_update()

> We have plans not to implement any download feature of alpm, so
> downloading files (in our opinion) definitely is no task of the
> library / binding, but of the client, and i'm currently not sure if
> that's possible at all.

if you don't register a callback, the lib should be still fine

> So rather, we will want to use alpm for the following features:
> - Package DB handling (basically update pacman db dirs with the lib,
> by already existing pdbs in the fs)

db_update()

> - Adding packages (so pulling depends, installing and adding it to the
> cache, handling the packages how ever the installed / not installed
> works. Also there, packages exist in the fs, which should be possible
> by setting another package cache dir for alpm)

PM_TRANS_TYPE_ADD

> - Removing packages (as i wrote reverse-depend calc and handling of
> the uninstall process).

PM_TRANS_TYPE_REMOVE