[pacman-dev] Dynamic repository updates?

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 16:22:49 EDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 10:56:44PM +0300, Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> I don't see any difference between fetching new pacman-mirrors package
> version and updating pacman package. This essentially just moves
> package update procedure from one package name to another.

I think eliott clearly stated it, having mirrors in another package makes the
mirror list independent of pacman. This would allow to update the mirror list
more frequently, without having to wait for a new pacman version each time.
A new pacman version is generally only made after a certain number of changes
is made. And it also needs to be stable enough.

But well, I don't know if this is really needed. I personally only need to
find one good mirror. So as soon as I find one, I stick with it.
So I don't see a slightly outdated mirror list as a big issue.
Also, does it change as fast as that?

Besides, as I previously stated, its always possible to get it directly from
the git repo.
And there is also http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mirrors .