[pacman-dev] package file hooks

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 04:56:22 EDT 2008

I was recently considering to implement package file hooks.
Quote from TODO.aaron :
* feature for 3.1: package file hooks *
I've been planning on this one for some time. Here's a simple rundown:
in /etc/pacman.d/hooks:
Hook /usr/include/* : /usr/bin/ctags -R /usr/include/*.h -f /usr/include/systags
This will allow us to make "global hooks" to simplify a lot of repetitive
install files (scrollkeeper, depmod, etc). This also allows us to move
ldconfig out of pacman entirely.
possible: /etc/pacman.hooks/* files for hooks, so packages can add them too

It would allow cleaning up a number of repetitive tasks in scriptlets,
and could be a nicer alternative to the function libraries idea
(http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10375).
Though I didn't think much about it.

But today I felt on this :
http://www.linux.com/feature/144666
And this looks great, this feature might not even need to be
implemented in pacman.
But well, I don't know how well it would work in practice. It is just
an idea to discuss about.