[pacman-dev] [abs] Proto files and Makeworld

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 14:14:28 EST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 1:06 PM, Travis Willard <travis at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2008 1:52 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > * The abs package installs them all to /usr/share/abs or
> > /usr/share/pacman/prototypes or something
>
> IMO they belong in the pacman package, since their content is tightly
> coupled with any changes made to makepkg.  Otherwise, I agree -
> /usr/share/pacman/prototypes is a good place for them.

Wow, a small issue is becoming a hot topic here. :)

My thoughts:
1. PKGBUILD.proto, ChangeLog.proto, and proto.install belong in the
pacman package. Thus they also belong in /usr/share/pacman.
2. Everything else (SCM PKGBUILD templates, etc) is sugar on the cake.
Those should be part of abs. For consistency's sake, it is probably
best to put them in /usr/share/pacman. I doubt the FHS looks highly
upon mucking with the /usr/share/ directory of another program, so
these should probably *not* be in /usr/share/pacman/. However, this is
a homebrew package, specific to Arch, so not such a big deal.
(Alternative: just keep these in abs, and with a switch to rsync we
could drop them wherever we wanted them in /var/abs).

I believe what I outlined above works well with both Aaron's
suggestion and Travis' thoughts. The stock prototype files definitely
belong in the pacman data directories.

-Dan