[pacman-dev] pacman -Qu does not shows the correctly total download size

Nagy Gabor ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu
Thu Oct 30 11:02:39 EDT 2008

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 2:17 AM, Hugo Doria <hugodoria at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11846
> >

> I have nothing to add to what Nagy said there. He gave the link to a
> discussion on the ML about how to implement this differently, in a
> better way, which would also fix this bug. But I have currently
> neither the time nor the motivation to finish this discussion, and
> even less to implement it.

On the other hand, we may completely rework -Qu (atm the patch is
waiting for Dan's response), which would completely eliminate this
problem (and the whole download size feature(?)):
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-October/013026.html

However, I agree that we should change our compute_download_size method.
Maybe we should compute download size during adding the sync package
into the target list (and maybe introduce a new helper function for
this). This method and the current one have a little drawback. Sometimes
we compute download_size even if it is not needed: -Sp. So compute "on
request" is may be better, I don't know. (But how to indicate not
computed, set -1 in each alpm_pkg_new? Ugly.)

Bye