[pacman-dev] Hooks for pacman, more ideas

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sun Feb 1 09:03:20 EST 2009

Mårten Olsson wrote:
> <snip>
>> In the example config file in the wiki page, the "Run" parameter is
>> when
>> to run the script specified in the [ ] brackets at the top.
>>

> So this example would be something like:
> [rebuildoutofkerneltreedrivers]
> Package = kernel26
> Run = postinstall
>
> Or have I missed something?

That looks fine to me.

>> <snip>
>> I'm sure it would be possible to have a package set off a hook such as
>> you are suggesting, although I think most packages would have a file
>> that would be the obvious choice to use (e.g. /boot/vmlinuz26 for
>> kernel26).   Please add a comment to the wiki page about this.
>>

> Yep, I don't see that as a major problem.
> From what I have seen of the code it might however be easier to start
> with Package matching (I might be wrong about this but it is my personal
> opinion). In the end both options would be good, we have
> at least seen that between us that both variants are desirable.

 From my understanding, there should be a list of files involved in a
transaction created during conflict checking.  So we can hopefully use
that to test which hooks need to be run.  However, I am not very
familiar with that part of the pacman code...

>> Once we have agreed on good configuration file formats, etc then you
>> are
>> more than welcome to help out coding this.
>>

> I would love to help with that, just hope I will have time for it
> when it gets that far.

That would be great.  We always have more ideas floating around that
people to code them so it is good to see new coders join in.

Allan