[pacman-dev] The great VCS packages overhaul of 2015

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Mar 13 06:36:29 EDT 2012

On 13/03/12 20:13, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>> What makepkg does:
>> > 1) goes into $vcsdir, checks for the pacman directory
>> >    - if not present, do the git checkout
>> >    - if present, enter and do a "git pull" unless --holdver is specified
> This should be a path under SRCDIR. This should also be a bare clone
> without working copy.

Query, do you mean $srcdir or $SRCDEST there?

Also, do you mean a bare (--bare) clone or a shallow (--depth 1) clone?
 As far as I know, a bare clone can not be updated.

I am also not convinced about shallow clones...  For glibc, (~20,000
commits), this save a little less that 20% of the size.  Apparently, for
the entire GNOME git repos, it saves only 10%.  That comes at a
disadvantage of not being able to clone it into $srcdir (which uses
hardlinks when possible so saves space).   Well, there is a hack that
allows you to do so but it could break at any time...

Allan