[pacman-dev] makepkg - separate build nodeps and runtime nodeps

Lukas Jirkovsky l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 14:16:08 UTC 2016

On 21 October 2016 at 13:56, Brendan Hide <brendan at swiftspirit.co.za> wrote:

>> Build-time dependencies are only listed in makedepends if they're not
>> needed at run-time, otherwise they're only listed in the depends array,
>> so this wouldn't really be possible.
>>
> In that case, how do the Arch repo maintainers get around it?

We don't get around it.

I think you are misunderstanding how the dependencies work:

build time dependencies = makedepends + depends
runtime dependencies = depends

In other words, the depends are implicitly makedepends, too. You need
to build packages in correct order. You approach of ignoring
dependencies will fail miserably when one of your "runtime
dependecies" will have soname bump.
Eg. your package b provides libb.so.1. You rebuild a and it will link
agains libb.so.1. Then you rebuild package b and the library changes
to libb.so.2. Now the package a is broken, because it is linked
against library that is no longer existing.

TLDR: you original approach was correct, the current one with
bypassing dependencies is wrong.