[arch-dev-public] [HEADSUP] Minimum kernel version bump

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Dec 29 13:42:53 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Andreas Radke <andyrtr at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Will there be a udev-compat pkg allowing to keep .32 lts?

The udev-compat package has contained a few extra rules files that
allowed old kernels to keep working. It looks like this will no longer
be enough as of the next release (there has been no update to the
compat rules), though I don't know exactly what caused the required
version bump.

In other words, things might continue to work, but we'll be on our own.

It might be worth noting that what we are doing (old kernels on new
user-space) is not really supported/tested upstream and the README
says "The upstream udev project's set of default rules may require a
most recent kernel release to work properly.".

> I'd like to update our LTS kernel to a more recent version but so far
> Grek hasn't announced any late kernel release to become long term
> supported. So there's no real option to update it for now. LTS-2.6.32
> is still the best supported long term kernel upstream.

That's a bit annoying. Any idea when a new LTS kernel would be out? I
don't really know what to suggest. What exactly is the use-case for
our LTS kernel?

Cheers,

Tom