[arch-general] Maximum JFS file (not filesytem) size

Sergey Manucharian sergeym at rmico.com
Wed Sep 9 08:21:56 EDT 2009

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 22:10:46 +0200
Guus Snijders <gsnijders at gmail.com> wrote:
> It feels a bit like the disk (on which the image is stored) is giving
> a read error, causing dd to stop.
>
> Also, is there anything in the kernel messages (dmesg) that gives a
> clue?

If you suspect that the disk has a (physical) problem I would recommend
to run MHHD program from a bootable CD/Floppy [0]. It creates a color
map of the disk displaying the access time to each block and I/O
errors. It helped me to save much time trying to solve problems like one
in this thread.

The only "con" of MHDD is that it's DOS-based ;)

Cheers,
Sergey

[0] http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/