[arch-general] Maximum JFS file (not filesytem) size

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 17:00:19 EDT 2009

2009/9/9 Sergey Manucharian <sergeym at rmico.com>:
> On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 22:10:46 +0200
> Guus Snijders <gsnijders at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It feels a bit like the disk (on which the image is stored) is giving
>> a read error, causing dd to stop.
>>
>> Also, is there anything in the kernel messages (dmesg) that gives a
>> clue?
>
> If you suspect that the disk has a (physical) problem I would recommend
> to run MHHD program from a bootable CD/Floppy [0]. It creates a color
> map of the disk displaying the access time to each block and I/O
> errors. It helped me to save much time trying to solve problems like one
> in this thread.

I'm afraid that that might be a bit too late in this case, since the
backup image is already corrupted.
For the OP: i'm sorry, but i dont have experience on bad tar files.
On the other hand; since it's a backup file, maybe the original system
is still ok?

MHDD is a nice tip though, maybe i'll try it the next time i run into
a corrupted disk.
At the moment PartedMagic is my favourite liveCD for troubleshooting/restoring.

One (small) problem with it is that it's S.M.A.R.T. GUI stops when it
encounters an error. Maybe MHDD can fill that gap (might save me a lot
of time  ;).

mvg,
     Guus