[arch-general] Using "python3 setup.py" in PKGBUILDs

mathieu p mathieuivi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 08:29:11 EDT 2011

2011/4/11, Auguste Pop <auguste at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> On 11/04/11 10:48, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:

>>> AFAICR users who relink python to python2 are on their own. This
>>> breaks repo packages as well, not just AUR packages.
>>>

>> Correct.  This currently breaks all sort of stuff so is completely
>> unsupported.
>>
>> Allan
>>

> relinking python is a bad idea, but imho, explicitly envoking python3
> when packaging it not.

Yeah, "explicit is better than implicit", so being precise when
writing code for an interpreter seems like the good choice to me.
(also, it will allow PKGBUILDS to be more portable without breaking
anything).

With the same kind of policy, users (or packagers) who relink their
/usr/bin/python to python should still use python2 (as in PEP 394) for
PKGBUILDs, scripts, and such.