[arch-general] What are people's opinions about this?

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at xsmail.com
Thu Apr 14 04:32:02 EDT 2011

Heiko Baums wrote:

> Sorry, but I still don't know why I should need autocutsel. The old, X
> standard way just works. I never had any problems and I never felt the
> need for something different.
>
> And I really don't want to read tons of documentations about a tool I
> don't need. And because I don't need it I don't want to be forced to
> using it, and I don't want to be forced to using it the way an admin
> thinks I should use it.
>
> Like I said before, the clipboards of at least KDE and Xfce, and I bet
> Gnome's clipboard, too, allow me to synchronize both buffers or to keep
> them separated. And I can move the clipboard content from one buffer to
> the other with those DE's clipboards.
>
> Why do I need autocutsel? People who need or want it, can install it
> separately. But, if it's installed, the user must have the possibility
> to configure it the way he wants and he must have the choice of running
> or not running it.
>
> And as far as I know there's a way to start and configure it in
> ~/.xinitrc. So this is the way to go within the autocutsel package.
> Well, if there's a system wide config then it must be possible to have
> this changed/overwritten by the user to his needs.

You seem to be under the impression that this is going to be the default
for all users. I never said that. I specifically said that this affects
only the people using the autocutsel package from [community].

Autocutsel is useful for people not using a DE and want to adjust the
behaviour of the X clipboard. If you are already provided with such a
tool, or the way X deals with clipboard contents by default suits you
then you don't need it.

----
Greg