[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [RFC] the storage group

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Sat Aug 27 20:15:56 EDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 17:43, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
>> I'm refactoring our support for the "storage" group, due to a recent
>> bug report about it being incomplete:
>> <https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/22337>. I thought I'd ask for some
>> input.
>
> I did a bit more digging and asking around, and it seems that my
> previous suggestion, basically to make "storage" work correctly with
> more devices, is not a good one.
>
> I tried pushing the fix into udev upstream, but Kay argued against it,
> and even the Debian maintainer agreed that this should probably not go
> upstream.
>
> Their reasoning (which I guess I agree with) is that giving users
> access to usb sticks (among other things) causes security probems (the
> user logged in over ssh can access the usb stick of the logged in
> user).
>
> Furthermore, (and this I did not know) in addition to taking care of
> mounting, udisks has support for most of what fdisk does, so there
> goes the main argument in favor of giving user access to these
> devices.
>
> To make a long story short; in stead of fixing the "storage" group, I
> intend to remove support for it from udev, and direct people to use
> udisks instead. If anyone have any objections, pleas let me know.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Pardon the interruption but from a former MS user and basically an end
user I thought I would chime in. Auto mounting is evil and the autorun
feature associated with it is worse. I think removing it from udev is
an excellent idea and I laud your suggestion. It will definitely
improve security and, IMHO, make things easier to setup. One only has
to learn one method, preferably the "correct" method, to do something.
I use the word correct because their are at least 3 right ways to do
things. Your way, my way, and the next person's way. None of which may
be the correct way.

Myra