[arch-general] Not a good time for ProAudio work? WAS: Panic - no sound devices after upgrade

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Jul 20 16:51:42 EDT 2011

Excerpts from Ray Rashif's message of 2011-07-20 22:12:40 +0200:
> On 21 July 2011 03:45, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> > If you have a pinned down a bit what the problem is, then open a FS,
> > if you are still lost feel free to ping me in #archlinux (I'm
> > tomegun).
>
> And for a start, determine if the only difference between Fedora and
> Arch is some kind of firewire rules [1]. If that is the case, try
> place it [1] in /etc/udev/rules.d and see if things work. Remove any
> custom chmods on device nodes you might have added before.
>
> However, looking at their tree, they don't seem to provide any such
> ruleset. The following quote is from upstream ieee1394 documentation
> [2]:
>
> "For example, the Fedora Linux distribution currently contains a
> mechanism to add read and write permission for the locally logged in
> user to the ACLs of fw* files of some FireWire device types. To this
> end, recent udev releases have firewire subsystem rules in the file
> 70-acl.rules file."
>
> I  have little idea what that refers to.
>
> [1] http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-multimedia/ffado.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/60-ffado.rules
> [2] https://ieee1394.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Juju_Migration#Character_device_files.2C_block_device_files

Because ACL was mentioned.. I recently helped someone to get jack
running. The trouble he had was related to polkit in some way. I didn't
investigate further, no idea whether he did, but I'll suggest testing
with polkit disabled from now on.