[arch-general] Not a good time for ProAudio work? WAS: Panic - no sound devices after upgrade

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Jul 20 18:05:08 EDT 2011

Excerpts from Bernardo Barros's message of 2011-07-20 23:52:32 +0200:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> Maybe it's not udev because the issue is not that the soundcard does
> not show up, it actually does. The problem is that JACK does not work
> with it. And also I downgrade udev at the time. The problem should be
> a fine-tuning somewhere
>
> At the time Fedora 15 was using udev 168 and Arch udev 171.
>
> I tested with Fedora 15, the MOTU UltraLite worked with ffado
> from svn (rev. 1985). I'm using Fedora for serious audio work since then.
>
> At the same machine, an updated Arch did not work.
> Then I tried to downgrade the kernel and udev packages, no luck.
> My USB card (Edirol pcr1) did not work either.

Maybe it's due something else in the init scripts, there were quite some
changes afaik. I'm not sure which packages might be most relevant, I
also don't know what you upgraded. Finding that out would be a first
step. Guesses wrt. packages: initscripts, hwdetetct, mkinitcpio, kernel