[arch-general] xmodmap

Jorge Almeida jjalmeida at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 09:43:56 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 2:19 PM,  <rara8avis at aol.com> wrote:

> FWIW, icewmbg, which is supposed to be run before icewm (according to the
> documentation); or which is supposed to be run by icewm-session; fails for
> similar reasons ($DISPLAY is not set and X is not running) unless I first
> run icewm, open a terminal window and then run icewmbg.  For me this is not
> a big deal because I run icewm in order to run lean and clean and if I
> really want to see that background photo, I can run xfwm4.

I suppose that is a quirk of icewm. I set my background in the same
script that is supposed to run xmodmap, and the background is really
set. On the other hand, I put an "echo $DISPLAY" in the same script,
just to check that the display is set, and it gives the expected
output. As for X, the script is the client of xinit, and besides the
other X-related tasks get done, only xmodmap fails.

J.A.