[arch-general] [cdrecord] Problems with original cdrecord on latest linux kernel

Javier Vasquez j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 19:41:11 EDT 2012

Hi,

I've been using the original cdrecord (cdrtools) for more than 10
years now, however I hadn't burned anything in the last 3 months (or
even more).  With the current linux kernel image from Arch:

% uname -a
Linux jvasquez14 3.3.8-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 5 15:20:32 CEST
2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I can't get cdrecord to recognize any cd/dvd writer, not the laptop
one neither an external USB one...  I might be mistaken, but with 3.0
image I believe things worked (can't be sure, as I said I haven't been
burning anything for months).

When I try to identify the cd/dvd writers:

% cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.01a07 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)
Copyright (C) 1995-2012 Joerg Schilling
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot
open or use SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

I looked through google, but the responses I get are pretty old, some
from 2004, talking about early 2.6 kernels...  I found one page (an
old one as well) that suggests using ide-scsi emulation, but that
seems to me old as well:

http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/media/cd/cd03-DeviceConfiguration/ar01s06.html

Besides for quiet a while we don't get hdc or sdc, just plain sr0/sr1
(even the scd0/scd1 was removed), and that seemed to work before if
I'm not mistaken...  Perhaps now the way is "sr0=scsi"?

Any ways, maybe someone knows better, :-)  I can try the boot loading
thing, but before, I wanted to see if someone has experienced this,
and there's a known work around.

Thanks,

--
Javier.