[arch-dev-public] request: remove mailx from Core

Tue Jan 8 12:47:56 EST 2008

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2008 9:57 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> logrotate-3.7.5-1 no longer depends on mailx (FS#6911) and no other
>> package in Core does.
>> FS#4812 says that mailx should depend on smtp-forwarder as
>> /usr/bin/mail calls /usr/sbin/sendmail.
>> Doing this will bring an interesting situation when a package in Core
>> depends on a virtual package provided by many of packages in Extra.
>> I suggest we remove mailx from Core completely (after
>> logrotate-3.7.5-1 will be signed off), because it's not required there
>> anyway.
>
> I'll +1 this. logrotate fails silently without a mailer installed, so
> it's not critical to a functional system.

Once logrotate won't depends on mailx anymore, no other packages in the
repo (core and extra) will require mailx. Can we simply remove it
completely from the repo?  Or is it one of these packages that we want to
keep in the repo? As I have adopted mailx because it was an orphaned core
package, is there anyone who are more interest than me in maintaining this
package?

believed to be clean.