[arch-dev-public] [RFC] dbus cleanup

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Sat Dec 1 14:45:19 EST 2012

On Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 08:11:00PM +0100, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'd like to propose the following change to our two dbus packages:
>
>  * make libx11 an optdep in dbus
>  * merge dbus-core into dbus
>  * move dbus to [core]
>
> This should not have much of an effect in practice, but should make
> things a bit clearer and especially the naming will be more in-line
> with upstream and other distros.
>
> We can see that the current naming has caused some confusion as most
> of the packages that depend on dbus should in fact be depending on
> dbus-core.
>
> What do you think?
>
> I put a suggested package here: <https://dev.archlinux.org/~tomegun/>.
>
> In addition to the above changes, I dropped a dep on systemd-tools as
> it was causing a cycle and added a patch requested by Thomas:
> <https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/32902>.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

While we're touching the PKGBUILD, why do we "fix" the configuration
file in the package function? Would be nice if we could cleanup the
30-dbus file as well to simply use shell builtins rather than an
external (yes, 'which' is in base, but it bothers me).

I'd still like to know the history of why this was split in the first
place, and not just optdep'd...