[arch-dev-public] licensing issues with DB 6.0

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Fri Aug 9 14:09:32 EDT 2013

Am 09.08.2013 19:54, schrieb Andreas Radke:
> After some reading the AGPLv3 license is not different from GPLv3
> with one addition. Since many services now run in the cloud in AGPLv3
> this is also covered as "distribution" of the code and must be done
> under the same rights that GPLv3 would require when shipping software
> as binary builds via some storage media.
>
> We do not change anything to the "db v6" code base. A quick overview
> over the rebuilt packages I can't see a pkg that is published under a
> non-free license.
>
> If we would be allowed to link to DBv6 if it would be under GPLv3 then
> we are also allowed to link to it under AGPLv3.
>
> I see no serious reason to not accept that license change.

If I got it right, the problem is that it's not possible to link to AGPL
code within a program which has an incompatible license. So the linking
exception does not apply here (as it does for e.g. LGPL). So only
packages that are either AGPL3 themselves or GL3 can use DB6. Even GPL2
would not be possible; which is why Debian would need to relicense their
apt package in order to use DB 6.

Greetings,

Pierre