[arch-dev-public] [arch-general] /etc/shells should keep /bin/zsh

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Mon Jul 1 17:50:05 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Chris Down <chris at chrisdown.name> wrote:
> On 1 July 2013 18:32, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> On 01/07/13 20:11, Karol Blazewicz wrote:
>>> I know arch-general si not for reporting bugs and I'm not trying to
>>> rush anyone, but it's been already a month of confusion wrt
>>>
> https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/zsh&id=c84d9770988fdc0f2e6c7bd5fa748d5a18580fb4
>>>
>>> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/35724
>>
>> If a bug is open that long, it is likely to be closed as "Won't Fix".
>
> I think that one reason the bug has been open so long is because it
> requires consensus to resolve rather than actual bug fixing. Specifically:
> for binaries involved in situations where the symlink does not make the
> transition transparent (in this case, because it's the path itself that
> matters in input), should they (ideally) have:
>
> a. both the old path and /usr/bin be acceptable
> b. only the old path be acceptable
> c. only the new path be acceptable
>
> I'm pretty sure nobody would argue in favour of option b preferentially. I
> am in favour of Arch continuing its long history of being first to
> deprecate and going for c as long as it doesn't pose any major technical
> problem.

I agree and I think we should choose to have all our shell paths in
the same directory in /etc/shells.
Have 2 paths will be painful with chsh as I describe in the bugreport.
I can create a TODO to updates required packages when the consensus is reached.

I remember Dave, arguing in favor of keeping sheebang to /bin/bash to
ensure portability.

Cheers,

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer