[arch-dev-public] SDR package naming

Filipe Laíns lains at archlinux.org
Thu Jun 4 22:03:23 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I want to bring up two issues relating Kyle Keen's packages. I tried to
contact him and got an initial reply but I have not heard from him
since. It has been almost 4 months and I have sent him 3 different
followup emails. Since it was not super urgent I let a pretty
significant amount of time pass but I would like to have this resolved.

Here are the two issues I seek resolution:

1) Rename libuhd to uhd

UHD[1] is the upstream name. The software is pretty well known by that
name. I have only ever seen it being addressed as libuhd when talking
about the library it provides specifically, but even then UHD is the
standard. It also provides some tools alongside the library.

Following the Arch philosophy I think the package should be named
"uhd".

2) Use the gr- prefix instead of gnuradio- for GNURadio[2] blocks

The GNURadio ecosystem has a pretty well established prefix for
GNURadio blocks, which is gr-. Similarly to the previous issue, I have
never seen them being refereed as gnuradio-something. The upstream
names are gr-something. The gnuradio- prefix might seem to make things
more clear to new users, and even then I have my doubts, but it
definitely makes things more confusing for actual users of the project.

Previewing some counter-arguments to this, as I have discussed it with
people previously. This is totally different than, for eg., the python
ecosystem where we use the python- prefix. The gr- is given by the
upstream and is the *de facto* naming scheme for the project.

If you don't agree with the use of the gr- prefix, I think that
variation of the name should *at least* be present in provides.

These might seem like nitpicks, but I do very much care about them and
I believe they should be corrected.

You can find my attempt at communication with Kyle below.

I am very conflicted about this, but I think before I end the email I
should note that Kyle is packaging and he appears to have replied to
other team member(s). I am not sure if I have done something wrong or
behaved in an improper manner. I don't think I did, but if that's the
case please let me know.

[1] https://github.com/EttusResearch/uhd
[2] https://github.com/gnuradio

Cheers,