[arch-dev-public] openssl 3.0

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sat Nov 6 09:32:24 UTC 2021

Hi Jelle, (also forwarding to dev-public)

definitely yes, OpenSSL 3.0 is on my wish list! :-)

I did not want to jump on it at day one though. Even the last minor
updates were quite painful and we still have packages requiring
version 1.0 and are still not compatible with 1.1.

While they claim that most packages should work with a recompile, it
would be nice to actually know which packages are not compatible. This
should help whether we need another compatibility package are would be
able to just replace openssl 1.1 with version 3.

I know about foutrelis' awesome rebuilder script, but I wonder if we
have something similar that I just could run for half a day to get an
idea which package would break and which wont? Like a dry run that
wont commit anything. If no such thing exists yet, I might have a look
myself.

Greetings,

Pierre