[arch-dev-public] Dropping python2 as a development environment

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Sun Nov 14 18:40:20 UTC 2021

Hi All,

I would like to propose that we start deprecating python2 and only
allowing to exists for:

* Make dependencies where required (js68, grafana-zabbix, etc.)
* Runtime dependencies such as (john, displayical, etc.)

This would basically imply that we drop python2-pip and
python2-virtualenv from our repositories and with them tons of python2
modules.

A follow up step is to consider dropping check() from python2 modules
but I'd prefer to drop python2-virtualenv and python2-pip first and see
what's left.

Another option is dropping all python2 optional dependencies, but this
list is getting smaller every day. Postgresql should drop it's python2
optional dependency by now.

Greetings,

Jelle van der Waa