[arch-general] Something wrong with firefox/thunderbird driving X cpu usage -> 100%

gt static.vortex at gmx.com
Fri Aug 10 00:41:32 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 04:14:20PM -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 08/09/2012 03:56 PM, Baho Utot wrote:
> >
> >Must keep up with the I need a new version because the old one is working too
> >well.
> >Must find something to break
> >
> >Aye, the microsoft culture has finally invaded linux.
> >

> No kidding!
>
>   In more ways than one... It's nice to know the new thunderbird
> only requires about 100M more RAM than thunderbird 2.x did. Good
> lord! So much for tight, well optimized code that uses minimal
> resources. Take a look at:
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Testing:Memory_Usage_Problems
>
> ** don't forget to look under the "References" section at the end.
> Especially the bug fixes that talk about correcting "massive memory
> usage"...

Why don't you guys try something like claws or sylpheed, if you are
having problem with thunderbird. I have used claws a couple of times
and I can say that it consumes minimal resources (for a graphical
client).

Also, for browser based solutions maybe you can give opera (it includes
a good email client), or seamonkey a try.

In the end if you don't have something against cli clients, you can try
mutt or sup.