[arch-general] Something wrong with firefox/thunderbird driving X cpu usage -> 100%

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Fri Aug 10 09:35:18 EDT 2012

On 08/10/2012 12:41 AM, gt wrote:

> Why don't you guys try something like claws or sylpheed, if you are
> having problem with thunderbird. I have used claws a couple of times
> and I can say that it consumes minimal resources (for a graphical
> client).

   Unless lots has changed recently, Claws is not really a great
replacement for TB. In large part due to lack of html compose support
(e.g. font control and tables can be pretty darn important for some).
Evolution might be, tho it used to crash a lot - perhaps it has improved
recently and is worth trying again.

   I use a local imap server for local storage - even on my laptop - so
I can change email clients with zero dependence on any clients local
storage quirks.

  I am running TB 17 - one thing worth checking is to ensure GLODA is
turned off (edit->prefs->advanced->general). This has caused terrible
cpu and io activity for me in the past.

  On my laptop, while roaming, if i lose connections - then sometimes TB
re-checks and indexes things - which causes CPU spikes for a bit - but
they go away.

  gene