[arch-general] OT: [arch-dev-public] polkit package upgrade patch

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Aug 10 18:56:33 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
[snip: lots of whining about pulse audio]

This is not the right mailinglist for this issue. And this certainly
is not the right thread for it.

> And systemd seems to be similar. I also don't like that you want to
> imprint this systemd stuff everybody even if one doesn't have systemd
> installed.

You are free to reimplement all those tools and ship a competing
package. The configuration formats are well-documented, so it should
not be hard.

> See systemd-tools and systemd-cryptsetup. Well, I know that
> you filed the issue about reading the key rawly from a block device to
> upstream. But they did forgot it.

What are you talking about? No one forgot anything. This is what
happened: You pointed out a feature that initsrcipts used to have
which systemd-cryptsetup lacked, (on the same day) I posted a patch to
implement the feature you requested, and asked for feedback (which you
didn't give), one week later I posted the patch upstream and (on the
same day) Lennart replied: "Applied." The functionality should now be
part of systemd 188, which is in testing. What more could you possibly
ask for?

> I have the
> impression that Lennart only thinks halfway through and doesn't have
> much knowledge about professional computer and UNIX usage. Maybe his
> ideas have some good aspects, but he simply can't implement it
> professionally and in a UNIX style. He seems to only think about
> desktop users but definitely not about (semi-)professional users.

I have the impression that you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

> And run a `ls /usr/lib/systemd/system`. The harddisk is filled up with
> a bunch of systemd stuff which I don't need and don't want to have. But
> I am forced to have at least half of systemd on my harddisk, even if I
> don't want to have systemd.

Why don't you just delete the things you don't want?

-t