[arch-general] What can be deleted, when not using systemd - was: polkit package upgrade patch

Joakim Hernberg jbh at alchemy.lu
Sun Aug 12 17:43:08 EDT 2012

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 14:49:29 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> I suspect upstream folks are living in an ivory tower.
>
> Nouveau, PA, systemd, GNOME3, GIMP etc. and regarding to GIMP somebody
> posted those links. It's worth to read it, since it's not about GIMP
> only, but about the communication between users and upstream.

FWIW, Nouveau has gotten really good for low latency audio lately, I
have a machine with a 8600gts running kde with kwin compositing and the
kernel latency peaks at about 0.3ms with nouveau, as opposed to nvidia
that manages just above 1ms.  Of course my hd3000 on sandy bridge
manages well under 0.1ms.... :)

I also don't quite understand the PA discussion.  I am not thrilled to
have libpulse pulled in as a dependency, but on the other hand I have
never seen it cause a problem in arch.  Of course I have no intention of
installing, nor of starting pulseaudio itself on my system...

I was however sad to see old dependable friends like ifconfig and route
being deprecated last year.  Sad to see rc.conf more or less being
deprecated too.  Seeing the new man page made me see the writing on the
wall though, and I have reduced it to an array listing the daemons I
wanna start.  Think I'm gonna feel like a complete noob next time I
wanna install arch somewhere.  IMO even if not logical, having a big
part of the system config in rc.conf was convenient and reminded me of
systems i ran many years ago...

Oh well, let's hope the future is so bright that we gotta wear shades :)

---

   Joakim