[arch-general] OT: "Major distributions" (WAS: Re: [arch-dev-public] Migration to systemd)

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 20:51:26 EDT 2012

> > >  Not because
> > > it is good software but because the other adequate software that this
> > > community depends on is going to require it.
> >
> > Let me know so I'm aware what the software you have in mind is if it
> > hasn't been mentioned please.
> >
> > Debian and Ubuntu plus the BSDs make up far more of the user base than
> > the rest put together and has Redhat switched yet?, so when I think
> > about it, I find this unlikely. Programs may need compiling to work
> > with or without systemd which will be annoying as I don't agree with
> > wasting resources building everything in the Gentoo style, though it
> > would be handy.
> >
> > --
> >
> > 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
> > together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
> > universal interface'
> >
> > (Doug McIlroy)
> If I recall correctly I don't believe you would have to modify any program to work with systemd, the only thing you'd have to do is create a unit for it. (Though I could be wrong please correct me if I'm wrong.)_

That's for sure because unless systemd is rewritten I won't ever be
using it.

Looks like the reply confused you as the response did me, the original
mail was saying what software will break without running systemd and
that's what I was interested in. Some have mentioned consolekit but
that's not even close to a requirement for 99% of users except maybe
enterprise. Note, udisks removed highly used by almost all functions for
enterprise functions no one used as a priority. Some others like polkit
have been mentioned, none of which have been allowed to have any
extra rights on my systems for a while.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)