[arch-general] OT: "Major distributions" (WAS: Re: [arch-dev-public] Migration to systemd)

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Sat Aug 18 02:50:57 EDT 2012

On 08/17/2012 04:37 PM, Justin Strickland wrote:

> If I recall correctly I don't believe you would have to modify any program to work with systemd, the only thing you'd have to do is create a unit for it. (Though I could be wrong please correct me if I'm wrong.)_

It is better if programs are willing to log to stdout/stderr, so the
output can be captured through systemd's journal process. Apache and
Postfix are the two examples I encountered where this seemed impossible.
Also, it is better, and this will be a problem familiar to users of
DJB's daemontools, if programs have a way of not forking and can simply
run without what I know from my old PDP-11 RSTS/e days as "detaching,"
although systemd is better able to handle programs that do than
daemontools is.

--
David Benfell
benfell at parts-unknown.org