[arch-general] Wrapper for yaourt and pacman

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jul 14 21:12:32 EDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-07-14 at 10:57 -0700, Chirantan Ekbote wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:
> > FWIW I want to have a cache for AUR packages, like there is for the
> > official packages in /var/cache/pacman/pkg, linux-rt packages should be
> > stored to another directory.
> >

> Take a look at SRCDEST, PKGDEST, and SRCPKGDEST in /etc/makepkg.conf.
> If you want a different folder for specific packages, you can use an
> environment variable to override the default. So you can do something
> like this in the directory with the PKGBUILD:
>
>     $ PKGDEST=~/aur/cache/linux-rt/ makepkg
>
> > I want to install linux and linux-rt headers first, because I need VBox
> > modules.
> >

> This is the only thing you might have to do manually or write a script
> for.
>
> > I want to add a history of what I've done when using pacman (and what
> > I've done using something to manage AUR packages, e.g. yaourt).
> >

> makepkg has a build log flag (-L or --log) and you can set LOGDEST in
> /etc/makepkg.conf.  When your package is installed it will show up in
> pacman's logs because the only way to properly install it on your system
> is to call pacman -U /path/to/your/package.

Thank you Chirantan :)

yes, the wanted history is in /var/log/pacman.log, there's nothing for
me to do.

Yes, makepkg --log does work, but I don't need it.

No, PKGDEST in /etc/makepkg.conf won't help me.

If I use yaourt PKGDEST is ignored, even if it wouldn't be ignored, I
want to have a separated directory for linux-rt packages automatically.
I don't want to run makepkg -s and pacman -U, with or without setting
the PKGDEST variable.

Perhaps another tool takes care about PKGDEST, sure it does work if I
run makepkg -s instead of yaourt.

To manage all the AUR packages I need a tool, yaourt or any other
available tool or something I'll have to write myself.

Gaetan's hint to use `pacman -Syu --print --print-format %n` will help
me to write a wrapper, to install linux-headers first, but I still have
no solution to install linux-rt-headers first, since they're in AUR.

Regards,
Ralf

Regards,
Ralf