[aur-dev] Absence of terminating newline in RPC requests

Johannes Löthberg johannes at kyriasis.com
Thu Sep 22 18:23:25 UTC 2016

Hey,

On 22/09, Alad Wenter wrote:
>JSON from the RPC interface seems to not contain a terminating newline,
>regardless of version or type specified. I am curious if there is a
>particular reason for this, as the POSIX standard defines text files to
>contain lines with terminating newlines. [1] [2]
>
>This is more noticeable when merging the resulting files to a valid JSON
>structure, e.g. to display the union of various search results. As a
>comparison, journalctl - json does terminate lines with a newline.

The RPC just returns whatever json_encode gave it, and doesn't do
anything manual to the data returned.  (And they're not actually files
at any stage, so what POSIX wants doesn't matter much. ;))

Anyway, we could definitely add it, but every json tool should
definitely be able to handle them as it is.  Examples of ones that
don't?

--
Sincerely,
  Johannes Löthberg