[aur-dev] Absence of terminating newline in RPC requests

Alad Wenter alad at archlinux.info
Fri Sep 30 23:08:01 UTC 2016

Johannes Löthberg via aur-dev schreef op 2016-09-22 20:23:
> Hey,
>
> On 22/09, Alad Wenter wrote:
>> JSON from the RPC interface seems to not contain a terminating
>> newline,
>> regardless of version or type specified. I am curious if there is a
>> particular reason for this, as the POSIX standard defines text files
>> contain lines with terminating newlines. [1] [2]
>>
>> This is more noticeable when merging the resulting files to a valid
>> JSON
>> structure, e.g. to display the union of various search results. As a
>> comparison, journalctl - json does terminate lines with a newline.
>>

> The RPC just returns whatever json_encode gave it, and doesn't do
> anything manual to the data returned.  (And they're not actually files
> at any stage, so what POSIX wants doesn't matter much. ;))
>
> Anyway, we could definitely add it, but every json tool should
> definitely be able to handle them as it is.  Examples of ones that
> don't?

True, I haven't had issues with json tools regarding a (lack of)
terminating newlines. Some tools like jshon do have an issue with
several requests pasted together, unless you insert some commas. In that
sense I wondered on how the RPC terminates its output, and how it may do
so in the future.

Of course, if/when we get POST requests [1], you no longer have to think
on merging JSON. :)

Thanks,

Alad

[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/49089